The 2023 MTV Video Music Awards took place in New Jersey on September 12th, and it was a night filled with incredible performances and well-deserved recognition for the music industry’s finest talents. Hosted by the sensational Nicki Minaj, who also took the stage to deliver a memorable performance, the event was held at the Prudential Center, setting the perfect backdrop for an evening of celebration.
Leading the pack with a remarkable 11 nominations, Taylor Swift made history at the VMAs by becoming the most nominated artist of the year. Her outstanding music video for “Anti-Hero” was crowned with the prestigious ‘Video of the Year’ award, marking her fourth win in this category. Swift’s achievement made her the first artist to ever achieve this feat. Additionally, she claimed the ‘Song of the Year’ award, solidifying her status as one of the industry’s most exceptional songwriters.
Adding to the excitement of the night, the beloved boy band NSYNC reunited on stage after 13 years to present the award for ‘Best Pop Video’. In a pleasant surprise, Taylor Swift’s talent shone once again as she took home this award as well, further cementing her dominance in the pop music scene.
The Best Hip-Hop award was claimed by the incomparable Nicki Minaj for her hit song “Super Freaky Girl”. This win showcased Minaj’s lyrical prowess and solidified her position as one of the genre’s most influential artists. Another notable win was in the newly introduced category of ‘Best Afrobeats’, which went to Rema and Selena Gomez for their chart-topping collaboration “Calm Down”. This victory marked the first-ever Afrobeats award at the VMAs, highlighting the genre’s growing global impact.
In recognition of her illustrious career and contributions to the music industry, the legendary Shakira was honored with the Video Vanguard Award. Her performance was a mesmerizing bilingual medley of her greatest hits, captivating the audience and reminding everyone of her undeniable talent.
Here is a list of the other winners from the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards:
– Global Icon Award: Sean “Diddy” Combs
– Video Vanguard Award: Shakira
– Video of the Year: Taylor Swift – “Anti-Hero”
– Song of the Year: Taylor Swift – “Anti-Hero”
– Best New Artist: Ice Spice – 10K Projects / Capitol Records
– Push Performance of the Year: TOMORROW X TOGETHER – “Sugar Rush Ride” – BIGHIT MUSIC / Republic Records
– Best Collaboration: KAROL G, Shakira – “TQG” – Universal Music Latino
– Best Pop: Taylor Swift – “Anti-Hero” – Republic Records
– Best Hip-Hop: Nicki Minaj – “Super Freaky Girl” – Republic Records
– Best R&B: SZA – “Shirt” – Top Dawg Entertainment / RCA Records
– Best Rock: Måneskin – “THE LONELIEST” – Arista Records
– Best Latin: Anitta – “Funk Rave” – Republic Records
– Best K-Pop: Stray Kids – “S-Class” – JYP / Republic
– Best Afrobeats: Rema & Selena Gomez – “Calm Down” – Mavin Global Holdings Ltd / Jonzing World Entertainment / SMG Music / Interscope Records
– Video for Good: Dove Cameron – “Breakfast”
– Best Direction: Taylor Swift – “Anti-Hero” – Republic Records – Directed by Taylor Swift
The 2023 MTV Video Music Awards showcased the incredible talents and achievements of the music industry’s finest. From Taylor Swift’s record-breaking wins to the long-awaited NSYNC reunion and Shakira’s iconic performance, the event will be remembered as a night of unforgettable moments. As the industry continues to evolve, the VMAs serve as a platform to honor and celebrate the artists who shape the music landscape and captivate audiences worldwide.